Generally, Borderline Disorder Personality is spread throughout the pattern of instability. BPD is a mental illness during which a person has an unclear self-image, unstable moods and he or she is unable to maintain healthy, stable and close relationships with others. As there is not any definitive test, diagnosing borderline personality disorder (BPD) is somewhat complicated. To recognize Borderline Personality Disorder, people require a working knowledge of the disorder as well as some insight into the past life of the person in a question form. What is going on in a BPD affected people’s mind and how they are acting; both things can be entirely different from each other.
Actually, the cause of borderline personality disorder is not acknowledged. But it seems that BPD is more common in those people whose childhood or adolescence involved neglect, abandonment, separation, physical or sexual abuse, disruption, or mainly poor communication within their families. BPD is more common in women and its 20% stands for psychiatric hospitalizations. Probably, about 2% of adults are affected with Borderline Personality Disorder. Treatment for BPD is psychotherapy which is partially effective. Initially, it may focus on self-damage behaviors, and if suicide is a concern then it may start in the hospital. Whereas longer-term therapy may contain discussion of working on coping skills, current and past issues, and changing thoughts and behaviors. Through medications such as mood stabilizers, antipsychotics, or antidepressants, you can improve your mood. For immediate medical care, you can call 911 or if you concern about possible BPD then go through prompt medical care.
It is improbable when someone suffering from BPD and try to discover this about their own self. So that the given test is very handy to you while you discover that whether your loved one should seek any professional help. It is a check list of the criteria of borderline disorder which is defined by the American Psychiatric Association in their diagnostic manual, DSM-IV-TR. Every person may experience some of these feelings from time to time. But the tendency of these warning sign may point out Borderline Personality Disorder.
- The first segments of testing is start with a complete physical checkup. Along with other usual tests, the doctor will draw blood test for toxins. Because certain substance abuse problems give signal of borderline personality disorder. But be careful that the side effects of some drugs may mimic borderline symptoms.
- Check whether your partner often exhibit paranoid tendencies which result from unrealistic perceptions of self and others. Watch out that your loved ones set undeserved importance on their self or they believe that the actions of others are always directed at them.
- Check it carefully whether your partner let everyone know about the flow of their emotions, especially when they are disappointed. Also see that self-injury or suicidal tendencies, all these behaviors are usually planned to get attention from others.
- Carefully notice whether your partner have any difficulties in maintaining their close relationships with others. Usually, excessive displays of feelings and emotions, like anxiety, anger, and irritability, frequently keep others at a distance. Such difficulties are due to impulsive behaviors which others find challenging to deal with like, indecisiveness, severe mood swings and constantly shifting thoughts about self-worth and self-identity.
- Everyday take a note of their moods. People suffered from borderline personality disorder tend to shift quickly from feeling high to low and they back again. It is not like bipolar disorder, in which moods last only a few hours of the day or at most one day.
- You have to judge whether your loved one is impulsive when it usually comes to sex, money, or substance abuse. Eating binges and reckless driving can also give signal of BPD. All these risky behaviors are generally caused by the aforesaid shifts in feelings, emotions and perceptions of self-image.
- Make proper notation about how your loved one sees himself or herself. Borderline personality affected has an unclear self-image that can swing from shamefulness to victimization. They repeatedly change homes, jobs, friends, partners, values and goals.
- Make your mind up if your partner suffers from "splitting." In this, for the one moment the BPD sufferer will admire and idolize you, but at the next time his or her feelings can unexpectedly change to disrespect and anger. They consider all the things in equal way whether in good or in bad, and never on neutral base.
- Properly gauge your partner's anger level in minor incidents. People having borderline personality disorder often get strongly angry in situations that don't deserve it. Sometimes they may even get physically, emotionally, and verbally abusive, so at that time protect yourself and children when necessary.
- Carefully notice that how your partner reacts whenever you go on a trip without him or her. People having borderline personality disorder get depressed or angry, when someone with whom they feel attached leave just for a short time. Even some change in plans can throw a BPD affected people off.
- Be alert and notice every time for your partner’s self-injury. Habitual suicidal threats, especially in case when you have to leave him alone or dissatisfy his or her expectations, give signal of borderline personality disorder.
How did you score?
For 2 Point - There are minimal chance of developing borderline personality disorder.
For 5 Points - Your partner may develop borderline personality disorder in the upcoming time. He/she needs to lower his/her expectations from other people, and energetically forming a stable identity by meeting different kinds of people and trying out different things. As well, control anger and avoid mood swings.
For 8 Points - Your partner possibly has BPD. Make an effort to learn more about this condition if you think your partner need help.
For 11 points - Probably, your partner has borderline personality disorder. Please contact to psychiatrist or psychologist to confirm about your diagnosis.
If you wish to take practical test for your own self, then go through this given test: healthyplace.com
Video of The Borderline Personality Disorder Test from youtube: