Fungal infections are among the most prevalent infections in the world today. They are usually caused by overgrowth of fungi (multi-cellular microorganisms) in or on the body. These infections can affect almost any part of the body, including the eyes. So symptoms and severity of the condition may vary substantially depending on which part of the body is infected. In most cases, fungal infections are not serious. But at the same time if left unchecked and untreated, then this infection could lead to some serious health problems and even death, especially in those people who have weakened immune systems.
Fortunately, there are several natural antifungals, which will help you get rid of fungal infection naturally and easily. A few such effective natural topical antifungals are given below. But keep in mind that these natural antifungals are recommended only for superficial fungus infections that affect fingernails, toenails, skin or hair.
Several scientific studies have shown that essential oils are very effective in treating fungal infections. It has been found that almost all essential oils have amazing anti-bacterial properties that can fight bacteria and fungi. A number of powerful essential oils are available in the market, but when it comes to treating fungal infection, the most effective ones are coconut oil, lavender oil, glove oil, jojoba oil, orange oil, oregano oil, rosemary oil and tea tree oil.
You can either blend these essential oils together or use them individually. To treat a fungal infection, simply apply a small amount of oil mixture directly on the infected area (i.e. skin, hair or nails). Alternatively, you can even dilute them in water by mixing around 1 tablespoon of essential oil with around two cups of warm water. Then, using a clean cloth or cotton balls, gently apply the mixture to the skin. Even adding several drops of essential oils to bath water has proved effective in treating fungal infections. And to treat fungus on the scalp, blend a few drops of essential oils into your shampoo & conditioner and then wash your hair with it.
(Note: Make sure that your essential oils are true medicinal or cosmetic grade, and not just scented mineral oils)
Vinegar is one of the most powerful natural anti-fungal agents in the world. It is very effective in curing fungal infections, especially nail fungus and toe nail fungus. All you have to do is prepare a vinegar mixture by mixing 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup of vinegar in a bowl, and then soak the affected area in this mixture for about 10-15 minutes. For best results, repeat this process two times a day.
Baking soda is yet another great natural antifungal. Take around 1/2 cup of baking soda, 4 tbsp of powdered sage, 2 tbsp of dry white clay (fine), and 2 tbsp of zinc oxide powder. Now, mix all these ingredients together and apply this mixture to the affected area. And if you’re suffering from a toenail fungus, then you can also spread a small amount of this mixture in your shoes, to keep them dry, clean, and fresh all day long.
Other effective home remedies for Fungal Infections:
- Apply some clove oil or clove powder directly on the affected area. This will not only help alleviate the uncomfortable symptoms of this infection, but also speed up the healing process.
- Apply some garlic extract or garlic puree on the infected area.
- Make a paste of turmeric with water, and then apply this paste on the affected area. Wait until the paste dries out completely. Finally, clean it off nicely with water to ease the symptoms, especially in nails.
- For toenail fungal infection, put a light coat of pure tea tree oil on the feet. Continue this remedy for at least 14 days to see significant difference.
- Mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar, and then soak the affected area in this mixture.
- Mix some crushed neem (margosa) leaves and basil powder along with some rose water, and apply it on the infected area to control fungal infections.
- You can also apply a paste of turmeric powder mixed with margosa leaves directly on the infected skin. To make this remedy effective, make sure to apply it 2-3 times a day on a regular basis.
- To get rid of scalp fungus, just apply the juice extracted from fig leaves. It is said to be the most effective home remedy.